Partnered up for another underground supper club collaboration, this one with Chef Efrain of Clandestino, following our collaboration in December. Fifty-six guests classily stuffed their faces in my yard, accompanied by acoustic guitar and flowing glasses of wine and wine wisdom. Thank goodness the rain stayed away, it turned out to be a perfect night. As always, wonderful mix of people. Those who came solo, as a couple, in large groups. Young and old, introverted and extroverted. Favorite memory from the night – one table was all family, celebrating the dad’s birthday. It was him and his wife, their grown children and significant others, and a four-year old granddaughter who amused herself on lawn furniture for the evening, and loved her first quail experience. Wonderful gift! Spending time together, doing a unique activity, something other than a private room in a restaurant, with no one slaving away in the kitchen cooking and cleaning, enjoying family-time but also meeting new people. What a way to celebrate, with fifty something people you just met joyfully singing you Happy Birthday! Another yea! point of the evening, one table loved my ice breaker so much, they asked for Round Two of the game.
- bacon-wrapped strawberry
- grilled oyster w/ oregano butter, quail egg, and cilantro gremolata, Paired w/ Nacre Semillon
- grilled quail salad w/ city farm greens and tarragon vinaigrette, Paired w/ Que Saudade Verdelho
- grilled pork blood sausage w/ fennel and fava beans, pickled rhubarb relish, Paired w/ Suspiro del Moro Alvarelhao
- grilled hanger steak w/ Cabrales cheese, russian blue potato mash and purslane salad, Paired w/ Old Woodsbull Syrah
- And for dessert: frozen ricotta strawberry custard, almond cake, balsamic caramel