- Did you know that if you search the hashtag #smatterings on Twitter or Facebook, you can get much of this random goodness all neatly laid out for you, going back months and months?!
- You can also see past issues by doing a search on the blog for Smatterings
- Italics is my voice/means I’m the one to follow up with, which you can do here
- If you have your images turned off, you might want to turn them on as there are often pictures included
- If you are reading this in an RSS feed, you may want to head to the original post, so you’ll see everything
- Want to post in Smatterings? Find out how here
- Want to see upcoming Mac & Cheese Productions events in one easy to read/find spot? Calendar here
- Appreciate Smatterings? Drop something in the Smatterings Tip Jar for the time it takes to curate and send this twice-monthly goodness!
We’re having a Bespooky Open House at Bespeak Studios, and you’re invited! Stop by the unique new meeting space in north Lincoln Park and enjoy cider, snacks, coffee, and music – plus giveaways for complimentary meeting time in the space!
Date: Saturday, Oct. 31 (Halloween day!)
Time: Noon to 5 p.m.
Location: 737 W. Wrightwood Ave., just east of Halsted and not far from the Clark & Diversey intersection
Plus, take a look at what’s on the blackboard at Bespeak Studios at www.bespeakstudios.com/blackboard. Right now, we have these fun workshops listed:
Learn to Play Bridge!
Fun with Feathers 101 (fashion accessories)
We’ve featured a grant-writing class and have Photoshop, interior design, and meditation classes coming up in the future.
If you have a workshop you’d love to lead at Bespeak Studios, definitely let us know! Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 844-737-MEET.
People always ask me how I get speaking gigs, this is a good read if you’re interested in being a speaker.
Ride Sharing Showdown: Uber vs. Lyft
If you want to try either and haven’t yet, discount codes:
BOOK TO READ (well, to color)
Splendid Cities: Color Your Way to Calm
A coloring book that will relax and inspire–all the while transporting you to the world’s most wonderful cities.
The most splendid cities in the world–some real, others imagined–come alive under your hand. Open this book and let yourself be drawn into a world tour dotted with floating kingdoms in the sky and spooky cities, and taking you from the domes of Moscow to the top of the Eiffel Tower. This journey knows no limits!
BOOK TO READ
Anchored by excerpts from her favorite memoirs and anecdotes from fellow writers’ experience, The Art of Memoir lays bare Karr’s own process. (Plus all those inside stories about how she dealt with family and friends get told— and the dark spaces in her own skull probed in depth.) As she breaks down the key elements of great literary memoir, she breaks open our concepts of memory and identity, and illuminates the cathartic power of reflecting on the past; anybody with an inner life or complicated history, whether writer or reader, will relate.
Joining such classics as Stephen King’s On Writing and Anne Lamott’s Bird by Bird, The Art of Memoir is an elegant and accessible exploration of one of today’s most popular literary forms—a tour de force from an accomplished master pulling back the curtain on her craft.
My pal Tina and her adorable family head West! Considering a train trip? Watch this!
Author of below wrote about her journey searching for female friends in a new city, MWF Seeking BFF: My Yearlong Search for a New Best Friend (you may recognize someone! Me!)
My friends have a beautiful 2 bedroom available in their greystone! If you apply, drop my name so they know you’re not crazy.
Life is Good When You’re Free of Credit Card DebtThe 2 best methods for cutting it down
How improv helped a gal find her tribe when she moved from Chicago to Austin
PS – if you want to try improv and you live in Chicago, great way to do it for newbies!
“Everyone has something that makes them tick. The thing is it’s often well hidden. Your psyche builds layers of protection around your most vulnerable traits, which may be very closely linked to your precious essence. Distractions are also external: money, fame, peer pressure, parental expectation. So it may be more difficult than you think to recognize the spark that is your personal sliver of the divine. But do so. Nothing in the end will give you greater satisfaction — not wealth, not passion, not faith, not even love — for if, as Rilke wrote, all companionship is but “the strengthening of two neighboring solitudes,” you have to solve the conundrum of your solitude.”
If I know you and would recommend you, feel free to ask me to do so.
CHEESE IT DISCOUNT!
Use code cheeseit for 15% off!
What if the next time we sat down to write, we didn’t worry about being interesting, we didn’t worry about being liked, and we didn’t worry about being reblogged?
MOVIE TO WATCH
What do people who were once paid to be creative for a living do when they’re laid off? They get creative with their own lives. Lemonade is an inspirational film about 16 advertising professionals who lost their jobs and found their calling, encouraging people to listen to that little voice inside their head that asks, “What if?”
All resources for Lemonade were donated. From cameras to lights to flights, this is a project by and for those who have been affected by unemployment.
Check out this new school in Chicago!
Ryan Banks Academy was founded as a coeducational boarding school in 2014 and seeks to impact the lives of students through a rigorous college and career preparatory education, a supportive boarding program, and a focus on personal development in a positive environment. We teach our students not only the value of education, but we also encourage our students to focus on cultivating their own unique strengths, interests, and passions so that they may lead a purpose-filled life. We take a holistic view of the student as a whole person, and our curriculum focuses not just on their academic pursuits but also on developing their relationships, core values, mindset, and our students learn how to set goals and to plan for their future. We encourage our students to take on leadership positions in their community and we also teach the importance of giving back to others. Our students are not just encouraged to think critically, but also to expand their idea of what is possible by pushing the boundaries of their own comfort zone and to look at the world as being full of limitless possibilities. We take a strengths-based approach to learning and building confidence, and we believe that each and every one of our students has a legacy within them to change the world.
Mac & Cheese’s jobseeking community is invited to explore internship and full-time opportunities during this Fall’s Chicago Startup Job Fair at 1871!
Free to attend for jobseekers.
Advance RSVP is the only admission prerequisite.
The majority of past attending employers are currently featured in “The Top 75 Startups in Chicago” and “50 Chicago Startups To Watch in 2015”.
Why not sign up today?
Mac & Cheese Productions Goodness | NEWS & UPCOMING EVENTS
- Just in time to gear up for the holiday season!
- A gathering of hyper-local small business owners at Mac & Cheese
- Vendors win by increased exposure and revenue, shoppers win via opportunities to support the community and stockpile fabulous goods
- Jewelry, glassware, pottery, essential oils, ornaments, prints, clothing, home furnishings, skincare, paintings, drawings, greeting cards, sculpture, dinnerware, journals, calendars, interior design consults, cross stitch, life coach services, accessories…
- Admission to the Win-Win Market is free, though in order to gain entry you will need an entry ticket.
- Any proceeds raised from online or in person donations will be given to Lydia Cash, a local artist who had more than $3400 worth of her paintings stolen at the recent Edgewater Art Fair.
- For your Shopping Pass and more information, head here
- The next round has been announced! Dance or improv January – March 2016. To apply head here. Only two info sessions remain, one on Monday!
- To get tickets to the show this Fall – storytelling, stepping, and a capella — head here. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED you attend a show if you’re going to apply.
Life of Yes℠ Meetup
- Chatting with strangers on couches and armchairs about how to live a full life – professionally, socially, romantically, whatever-ally…
- Sharing of resources, ideas, and overall positivity.
- More info and rsvp
Life of Yes℠: Live YOUR Dream, not THE Dream workshop
- I share personal anecdotes and the philosophies that have shaped my path, encouraging students to have “Aha!” moments and think proactively about how you can get the most out of life.
- You’ll leave not only with big-picture philosophies but also small-actionable steps you can apply immediately.
- One Fall date
- See reviews, more info, and register here
- Last one of 2015!
- 8 people get 6 minutes to do whatever they want
- You sit and soak it all in in a room full of the friendliest strangers on earth
- Check out the monthly lineup and get your ticket, we sell out!
- Last one of 2015!
- I share an overview of numerous resources (mostly tech-based) that I use on regular basis to maintain organization, frugality, and efficiency, along with tips and insight, to give you a starting point to deciding which tools to further investigate and incorporate into your own life.
- This class is not about learning the ins and outs of specific tools, but about someone else narrowing the overwhelming field of options and presenting her best-practices and favorites for you to choose which you’d like to learn on a deeper level.
- Many people get work to pay for this!
- See reviews, more info, and register here
Recent Blog Posts
- Celebrating 11 years of post “I got let go, er, fired!” life
- How to make an entrepreneurial dream reality in 38ish steps
- His & Her Top Nine Lists of Online Tools We Can’t Live Without
For the difference between a Life of Yes℠ meetup, workshop, and camp, head here.
Mac & Cheese Productions Goodness | CHEESE-IT DISCOUNTS & REFERRALS
- My Service Provider referral list and my Chicago venue referral list, along with other resources can be found on my FAQ page
- Park Whiz: compare price, location, and amenities for parking all across the US to find the right parking spot for you. $10 credit when you sign up here
- Luxe: Sends valets to park for you, wherever you are – it’s fast, affordable and convenient. Use SAYA for $20 credit
- Zen Payroll: payroll services, tax filings, what I use for all my money’ness; use this link, get $100 when you become a paid user
- Champion Energy: who I use for my electricity (you don’t have to use ComEd!); use this link and code Shillman9894, get a $25 credit on your bill
- LastPass: manage your passwords and other top-secret info (forget about memorizing tons of different passwords!); use this link, get a free month of Premium
- Mailchimp: easily manage email campaigns; use this link, get $30 in Monkey Rewards
- Kitchfix: delicious healthy food delivered to your door; use this link, get $15 off your first order of $30 or more (see my blog post on why I love them)
- LYFT car-service: like a taxi, but way easier to use; use code SAYA20 for $10 off first ride
- Uber car-service: like a taxi, but way easier to use; use code UBERCHEESEIT and get a $20 credit for first time users
- Airbnb: my favorite way to lodge when in other cities (you can also make a boatload of cash by being a host); use this link for a $20 credit ($75 if you host!)
- Handy: cleaning service; use code SAYA3359 for $25 off your first use **NOTE: They’re pretty inexpensive and in the handfull of times I’ve used them, definitely feel ‘getting what you’re paying for’. Not the best, not the worst. If you use the same person that might help in things like being late because they couldn’t find you, knowing the quirks of your house, etc. The last time I used it, I liked the gal a lot, her name is LaQuita Hayes if you want to try to use her as well**
NOTE: Many of these links give me some type of perk when you use them (so, THANK YOU!)
That’s it, folks! Hope you enjoyed this issue.
Use someone’s services in Smatterings and LOVED them? Went to an activity suggested in here and LOVED it? Have some other positive come out of Smatterings?
Let me know! That fuels me continuing to do the free, time-consuming Smatterings twice a month.
Wanna give me a “hug”? A “thumbs up”? Smatterings Tip Jar