- Appreciate Smatterings? Drop something in the Smatterings Tip Jar for the time it takes to curate and send this twice-monthly goodness!
- Did you know that if you search the hashtag #smatterings on Twitter or Facebook, you can get much of this random goodness all neatly laid out for you, going back months and months?!
- You can also see past issues by doing a search on the blog for Smatterings
- Italics is my voice/means I’m the one to follow up with, which you can do here
- If you have your images turned off, you might want to turn them on as there are often pictures included
- If you are reading this in an RSS feed, you may want to head to the original post, so you’ll see everything
- Want to post in Smatterings? Find out how here
- Want to see upcoming Mac & Cheese Productions events in one easy to read/find spot? Calendar here
By Madhuri Shekar
directed by Tlaloc Rivas
a Chicago premiere production
August 13 through September 20, 2015
Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays at 8pm; Sundays at 6pm
Beginning August 13, Halcyon Theatre presents In Love and Warcraft by Madhuri Shekar, a romantic comedy about fear and acceptance of intimacy both physical and emotional in a cute and geeky leaning way. In Love and Warcraft is directed by nationally acclaimed director Tlaloc Rivas.
Evie Malone—gamer girl, college senior and confirmed virgin—has it all figured out. Not only does she command a top-ranked guild in Warcraft with her online boyfriend, she also makes a little cash on the side writing love letters for people who’ve screwed up their relationships. Love is like Warcraft, after all. It’s all about strategies, game plans, and not taking stupid risks. But no amount of gaming expertise can help her out when she’s next to a handsome, non-virtual, boyfriend, who is ready to rock all of her worlds.
There are two paths you can take to reach your seat —
1.) Through our Radical Hospitality program, we are holding a number of seats for first come, first serve, free entrance to every performance. The box office opens one hour before the performance.
2.) Audience members who prefer guaranteed admission can do so for a $20 fee ($10 for the Ceyx series) paid in advance online.
Halcyon Theatre is in-residence at Christ Evalengical Lutheran Church in Chicago’s Albany Park neighborhood. We are two blocks west of Kedzie Ave and two blocks north of Montrose Ave, on the corner of Wilson and Spaulding in Chicago.
More information may be found here.
Manager of Communications opportunity with the Chicago Foundation of Women. The position will report to the Director of Development and Communications.
Gah! I always love when people take leaps — move to another country, perform standup, ask an architect out — but it also always scares the bejeezus out of me when they tell me I had something to do with the leap.
This gal came to Idea Potluck Tuesday and shared that she was thinking of quitting her job to pursue her passion (yay!). I told her to keep us updated and included a nod to her in the Thank You email sent to attendees.
She did it!
So now everyone PLEASE stay at April’s Logan Square pad via Airbnb, share her pad with out of towners, and/or become a host yourself!
That’s what she’s doing full-time now and is the go-to resource for current/aspiring Chicago hosts and their guests.
Host with her help — http://bit.ly/1LckZZR
Stay with her — http://bit.ly/1Lclkfg
Follow her on Twitter/Instagram @AirbnbChi and like her FB page Chicago Airbnb Hosts.
Mac & Cheese Productions Goodness | FEAR EXPERIMENT℠ (FE)
“Being part of FE has been terrifying, exhilarating, and the best gift I could have possibly given myself.”
The next round starts in the Fall.
Info session attendance required for all applicants and there is one left, coming up soon!
Good to keep in mind when you get rejected…
Mac & Cheese Productions Goodness | LIFE OF YES℠ SLEEPAWAY CAMP
The summer camp is full, apply for the Fall one now!
Everyone comes solo.
A way to recharge, start anew, and create community.
Mac & Cheese Productions Goodness | IDEA POTLUCK
“I’m still on an endorphin high from this! This was one of the best evenings I’ve had in a mucho long time. Thanks for creating such a kind, innovative, positive event!” – one of the presenters last night
Rockstar Chicagoans from all walks of life get six minutes to do whatever they want.
You just sit back and soak it all in.
Check out the lineups for this monthly event and get your ticket now, we always sell out!
Mac & Cheese Productions Goodness | ‘LIFE OF YES℠: LIVE YOUR DREAM, NOT THE DREAM’ WORKSHOP
“Saya did an amazing job creating a fun and relaxing atmosphere. I was immediately comfortable upon arriving. The content of the class was interactive, easily actionable, and invaluable. I loved the class.”
Last class of the summer coming up in August!
Mac & Cheese Productions Goodness | LIFE OF YES℠ MEETUP
Friendly strangers hanging out on couches.
Relaxed, no pressure way to meet others and share what’s on your mind/ask for guidance.
If you’re like me and like doing your own ‘research’ on ailments, my doctor says: WebMD is OK. I prefer the Mayo Clinic and Cleveland Clinic patient websites.
A Cheese-It is selling her awesome place!
Awesome 2-br 2-ba condo with private roof access (Skyline view), garage parking, and lots of upgrades located in Lakeview near the lake. Anyone interested, please check out the link: www.816woakdale2.info
This is ridiculous.
Why nobody wants their MTV
Sometimes it’s good to hear this…
I’m Not Okay
Meghan Daum, an essayist, novelist and the editor of Selfish, Shallow, and Self-Absorbed: Sixteen Writers on the Decision Not to Have Kids (Picador, 2015), and Tim Kreider, a writer, cartoonist, the author of We Learn Nothing: Essays and Cartoons (2012) and a contributor to Selfish, Shallow and Self-Absorbed discuss why love and marriage doesn’t always lead to a baby carriage.
Well, this doesn’t hold true for me, but…
New data shows that students whose parents make less money pursue more “useful” subjects, such as math or physics.
Mac & Cheese Productions Goodness | RECENT BLOG POSTS
- My ‘I don’t have but I would like’ list is ever-growing, which I choose to view as a good thing
- I worry I will be forever looking for some type of job nirvana that doesn’t exist
- What a spontaneous eight days by myself in Mexico looks like
Mac & Cheese Productions Goodness | CHEESE-IT DISCOUNTS
- Zen Payroll: payroll services, tax filings, what I use for all my money’ness; use this link, get $100 when you become a paid user
- Champion Energy: who I use for my electricity (you don’t have to use ComEd!); use this link and code Shillman9894, get a $25 credit on your bill
- LastPass: manage your passwords and other top-secret info (forget about memorizing tons of different passwords!); use this link, get a free month of Premium
- Mailchimp: easily manage email campaigns; use this link, get $30 in Monkey Rewards
- Kitchfix: delicious healthy food delivered to your door; use this link, get $15 off your first order of $30 or more (see my blog post on why I love them)
- LYFT car-service: like a taxi, but way easier to use; use code SAYA20 for $10 off first ride
- Uber car-service: like a taxi, but way easier to use; use code UBERCHEESEIT and get a $20 credit for first time users
- Airbnb: my favorite way to lodge when in other cities (you can also make a boatload of cash by being a host); use this link for a $25 credit ($75 if you host!)
- Handy: cleaning service; use code SAYA3359 for $25 off your first use
That’s it, folks! Hope you enjoyed this issue.
Use someone’s services in Smatterings and LOVED them? Went to an activity suggested in here and LOVED it? Have some other positive come out of Smatterings?
Let me know! That fuels me continuing to do the free, time-consuming Smatterings twice a month.
Wanna give me a “hug”? A “thumbs up”? Smatterings Tip Jar