- Did you know that if you search the hashtag #smatterings on Twitter or Facebook, you can get much of this random goodness all neatly laid out for you, going back months and months?!
- You can also see past issues by doing a search on the blog for Smatterings
- Italics is my voice/means I’m the one to follow up with, which you can do here
- If you have your images turned off, you might want to turn them on as there are often pictures included
- If you are reading this in an RSS feed, you may want to head to the original post, so you’ll see everything
- Want to post in Smatterings? Find out how here
- Want to see upcoming Mac & Cheese Productions events in one easy to read/find spot? Calendar here
- Appreciate Smatterings? Drop something in the Smatterings Tip Jar for the time it takes to curate and send this twice-monthly goodness!
MAC & CHEESE GOODNESS
I’m featured in an awesomely produced video!
- “Next Door Community Stories highlight people in our community, and the awesome things they’re doing to make waves in Chicago. It’s about their inspirations, their ideas and their success.”
- Watch video
- If you haven’t checked out Next Door yet, do! Awesome place doing such great community building.
Digital Garage Sale
- I’m continuing to downsize and adjust paths I travel, which means getting rid of stuff
- New items added, including freebies!
- Sign up solo to create community via an art form that perhaps you’re not the best at and then perform in front of 700
- The Fall class – storytelling, a capella, and stepping – is being selected now
- If you want to get on the waitlist, head here
Life of Yes℠ Sleepaway Camp
- 16 of us just returned from an amazing weekend in Somewhere Magical
- “Truly one of the best experiences of my life” – camper
- Unplugged, everyone comes solo
- Stay tuned for a blog post on our getaway
- If you’d like to apply to Fall’s getaway, head here
Life of Yes℠ Meetup
- Chatting with strangers on couches and armchairs about how to live a full life – professionally, socially, romantically, whatever-ally…
- Sharing of resources, ideas, and overall positivity.
- More info and rsvp
Life of Yes℠: Live YOUR Dream, not THE Dream workshop
- I share personal anecdotes and the philosophies that have shaped my path, encouraging students to have “Aha!” moments and think proactively about how you can get the most out of life.
- You’ll leave not only with big-picture philosophies but also small-actionable steps you can apply immediately.
- Last one for awhile!
- See reviews, more info, and register here
- 8 people get 6 minutes to do whatever they want
- You sit and soak it all in in a room full of the friendliest strangers on earth
- Check out the monthly lineup and get your ticket, we sell out!
Pub Quiz Night
- In true M&C fashion, you are encouraged to come solo.
- You’ll be put on a team of (friendly) strangers. Is it scary to come by yourself? YES! Will you live and have a good time? YES!
- Questions will range from “Name the Brady Bunch housekeeper” to “The unrest in which Asian country in 2007 was called ‘The Safran Revolution’?”, and everything inbetween
- The first one sold out and was a ridiculous blast, jump on this NOW!
- I share an overview of numerous resources (mostly tech-based) that I use on regular basis to maintain organization, frugality, and efficiency, along with tips and insight, to give you a starting point to deciding which tools to further investigate and incorporate into your own life.
- This class is not about learning the ins and outs of specific tools, but about someone else narrowing the overwhelming field of options and presenting her best-practices and favorites for you to choose which you’d like to learn on a deeper level.
- Many people get work to pay for this!
- See reviews, more info, and register here
Recent Blog Posts
- My ‘I don’t have but I would like’ list is ever-growing, which I choose to view as a good thing
- I worry I will be forever looking for some type of job nirvana that doesn’t exist
- 25% off Lesbians Who Tech Summit with code LWTMAC
For the difference between a Life of Yes℠ meetup, workshop, and camp, head here
Eep! What do you think of this gal’s new email policy?!
“For the emails that fall into the longer categories, strangers can send an email to me longer than 140 characters…if they’ve determined that sending the email is something they truly must do. In an effort to raise consciousness and be mindful of the very little time we all share here on earth, those folks will have to submit a $1 USD fee to be able to send it.”
Mac & Cheese Productions℠ is excited to partner with the Lesbians Who Tech to offer a special discount for the Lesbians Who Tech Summit (and allies), October 1st – 4th in New York.
Cheese Its get 25% off with the code LWTMAC. Reserve your spot today!
Also, if you are a student or simply can’t afford the cost of the ticket you can apply for a scholarship here.
Lesbians Who Tech is the community of queer women in/around the tech world (and the people who love them). Started in 2012 in San Francisco, the community has over 10,000 women and chapters in 25 cities. Whether you work at a tech company, have a technical job, or just love technology. Even if you’re just obsessed with every new app that comes out, Lesbians Who Tech wants you to get geeky with techy folks just like you, land gigs, and make new friends and connections. The Lesbians Who Tech Summit is open to everyone.
p.s. If you are new to Lesbians Who Tech here is a short video on Lesbians Who Tech, our a great article in BuzzFeed about our San Francisco Summit, “If Every Tech Conference Were Like Lesbians Who Tech, Tech Would Be A Much Better Place”
I have cut many of these folks out of my life.
Definitely do your own research!
Activity to do! (That can be free!)In Love and WarcraftBy Madhuri Shekar
directed by Tlaloc Rivas
a Chicago premiere production
August 13 through September 20, 2015
Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays at 8pm; Sundays at 6pm
Beginning August 13, Halcyon Theatre presents In Love and Warcraft by Madhuri Shekar, a romantic comedy about fear and acceptance of intimacy both physical and emotional in a cute and geeky leaning way. In Love and Warcraft is directed by nationally acclaimed director Tlaloc Rivas.
Evie Malone—gamer girl, college senior and confirmed virgin—has it all figured out. Not only does she command a top-ranked guild in Warcraft with her online boyfriend, she also makes a little cash on the side writing love letters for people who’ve screwed up their relationships. Love is like Warcraft, after all. It’s all about strategies, game plans, and not taking stupid risks. But no amount of gaming expertise can help her out when she’s next to a handsome, non-virtual, boyfriend, who is ready to rock all of her worlds.
There are two paths you can take to reach your seat —
1.) Through our Radical Hospitality program, we are holding a number of seats for first come, first serve, free entrance to every performance. The box office opens one hour before the performance.
2.) Audience members who prefer guaranteed admission can do so for a $20 fee ($10 for the Ceyx series) paid in advance online.
Halcyon Theatre is in-residence at Christ Evalengical Lutheran Church in Chicago’s Albany Park neighborhood. We are two blocks west of Kedzie Ave and two blocks north of Montrose Ave, on the corner of Wilson and Spaulding in Chicago.
More information may be found here
Just had #1, best burger I’ve ever had!
Woot! Gal who graduated with me from Boston College — BC Class of 2000!
Beautiful story about beautiful people succeeding in the most lovely way. If you came to Fear Experiment℠ Seven last December, you’ll remember Andrea as the courageous soul who shared her story. Check out the Cara Program for all the good they’re doing!
Met the owner the other day, go support her, she’s great!
The social network creates a space for intimacy and gratitude, despite being a broadcast medium.
There’s something to be said for taking the long way home.
WE ARE A COMMUNITY OF MOSTLY 20- AND 30-SOMETHINGS WHO’VE EACH EXPERIENCED SIGNIFICANT LOSS. WE GET TOGETHER OVER POTLUCK DINNERS TO TALK ABOUT THE WAYS IN WHICH IT CONTINUES TO AFFECT OUR LIVES AND HOW TO THRIVE IN #LIFEAFTERLOSS.
Hmmm, not sure I agree….
Tiny Beautiful Things: Advice on Love and Life from Dear Sugar
(from Cheryl Strayed, author of WILD)
From a reader:”If you haven’t read it yet, it’s a compilation of letters to Dear Sugar (aka Cheryl Strayed) and the advice she gives in response.
I was struck by how Strayed can take any horrendous, gut-wrenching human problem and apply empathy and wisdom to make you feel like even this is something you can deal with, and even use to make you a better person.”
Life can be hard: your lover cheats on you; you lose a family member; you can’t pay the bills—and it can be great: you’ve had the hottest sex of your life; you get that plum job; you muster the courage to write your novel. Sugar—the once-anonymous online columnist at The Rumpus, now revealed as Cheryl Strayed, author of the bestselling memoir Wild—is the person thousands turn to for advice.
Tiny Beautiful Things brings the best of Dear Sugar in one place and includes never-before-published columns and a new introduction by Steve Almond. Rich with humor, insight, compassion—and absolute honesty—this book is a balm for everything life throws our way.
The most common complaint about intense interval training is that people hate it. The 10-20-30 training may solve that problem.
Via Swiss Miss
Mac & Cheese Productions Goodness | CHEESE-IT DISCOUNTS
- 25% off Lesbians Who Tech Summit with code LWTMAC
- Zen Payroll: payroll services, tax filings, what I use for all my money’ness; use this link, get $100 when you become a paid user
- Champion Energy: who I use for my electricity (you don’t have to use ComEd!); use this link and code Shillman9894, get a $25 credit on your bill
- LastPass: manage your passwords and other top-secret info (forget about memorizing tons of different passwords!); use this link, get a free month of Premium
- Mailchimp: easily manage email campaigns; use this link, get $30 in Monkey Rewards
- Kitchfix: delicious healthy food delivered to your door; use this link, get $15 off your first order of $30 or more (see my blog post on why I love them)
- LYFT car-service: like a taxi, but way easier to use; use code SAYA20 for $10 off first ride
- Uber car-service: like a taxi, but way easier to use; use code UBERCHEESEIT and get a $20 credit for first time users
- Airbnb: my favorite way to lodge when in other cities (you can also make a boatload of cash by being a host); use this link for a $25 credit ($75 if you host!)
- Handy: cleaning service; use code SAYA3359 for $25 off your first use
That’s it, folks! Hope you enjoyed this issue.
Use someone’s services in Smatterings and LOVED them? Went to an activity suggested in here and LOVED it? Have some other positive come out of Smatterings?
Let me know! That fuels me continuing to do the free, time-consuming Smatterings twice a month.
Wanna give me a “hug”? A “thumbs up”? Smatterings Tip Jar