Instead of wondering when your next vacation is, maybe you ought to set up a life you don’t need to escape from. – Seth Godin
Imagine activities that unlock your creative-soul and unleash the you you want to be, in an environment where you feel at home with people you just met… like summer camp for adults.
“LOY is for you if you feel stuck in life and are seeking change, if you want to invite more positive energy into your life, if you want to make meaningful connections with others, if you want to laugh out loud, and if you want an unforgettable experience that you will never regret!” – participant
Everyone comes solo.
Everything – food, lodging, supplies, schedule – is taken care of. You just show up.
Life of Yes! Retreats featured
- in Forbes - Summer Camps to Explore: 4 Professional Retreats for Adults
- in the Cassandra Report - Creative Retreats Give Adults the Summer Camp Experience
- in PureWow – Just Say Yes: Find Your Way to a Summer Retreat
- in Tasting Table - Summer Camp Getaways Where You Can Recharge
On Twitter? #LifeOfYes
Life of Yes! Three (LOY03) | Friday, August 2 @ 7pm – Sunday, August 4, 2013 early evening | Somewhere Magical, Michigan
LOY03 is filled! Check out LOY04 below.
We will be staying in Somewhere Magical, Michigan, about two hours and forty-five minutes from Chicago, located in a rural area on 67 acres of woods and rolling hills. You will either be in a cabin by yourself or with one other person. Cabins are heated and have full bathroom facilities, small yet complete kitchens, and screened porches or decks. Each is furnished with a bed, comfortable seating, and a desk for writing [x2 for the two-bedrooms], and include necessary linens and cleaning supplies. Kitchens include bottled water, coffee pot and essential cooking utensils. When the group is all together, we will meet in the Big House which has sitting and eating room for us all, as well as a library and meditation loft. Meals will be family-style, prepared by a facilitator with help from some of the group. We will all drive together in one van.
Saya and Frank. Frank is a man of mystery. Unravel his mysteriousness at the retreat!
Life of Yes! Four (LOY04) | Friday, August 23 @ 7pm – Sunday, August 25, 2013 early evening | Somewhere Magical, Wisconsin
Participants will be selected not based on order they applied but on how they mesh with the rest of group; we’re striving to get a diverse group who share the common thread of being AMAZING and open to the YES! way of life. Though we admit, people who get their applications in sooner rather than later do win Brownie Points.
To apply to LOY04, head here!
We will be staying in Somewhere Magical, Wisconsin, about 90 minutes from Chicago, located on an 11-acre wooded campus on the shores of Lake Michigan. We will all stay together in one building. You will be in a bedroom by yourself or with one other person, with all necessary linens included. Shared bathroom facilities. The building includes various rooms in which to explore and relax, including a library and meditation space. Meals will be fresh, home-cooked, family-style, prepared by the venue. We will all drive together in one van.
$425. Includes transportation to/from the North side of Chicago, Friday evening snack, Saturday breakfast/lunch/dinner, Sunday breakfast/lunch, activity materials, and lodging.
The following applies to every LOY retreat
NOTE: If after reading below, you don’t feel like you can sign up because you don’t know exactly what you’ll be doing, who you’ll be with, and you “need more details,” this may not be for you. Part of a Life of Yes! is trust. Listen to your gut. If it tells you to run away screaming, we’re sorry to see you go; if it tells you “I don’t know why this resonates with me but it does and I’m intrigued,” apply! We’re nice. We want nothing more than for you to get crazy-value out of this. Trust us. Trust yourself.
- Cura Personalis – “care of the whole person”
- Discover, rejuvenate, reflect, and connect with people from all walks of life who share the desire to live a Life of Yes!, a way of being that fosters positivity, genuineness, passion, and community
- Reawaken by tapping into the unique gifts, challenges, needs and potential of yourself and those around you
- Leave behind routine and negativity
- Escape into the beauty of nature
- Create some of the most inspiring, genuine bonds with people whom were strangers just hours before
- Be inspired to live fully
Who This is For
- You’re up for more. Whatever the definition of “more” is to you.
- You would rather try and fail then not try at all
- You say Yes! or want to say Yes! more
- You like to be around people who say Yes!
- You want to help someone – perhaps yourself, perhaps another, perhaps both
- You’re looking for activities other than bars, movies, restaurants, classes
- You could use a nudge or some inspiration
- You’re ready to kick fear in the shins and use it to your benefit
- You want to focus not on yesterday, not on tomorrow but on today
- You want to meet new people
- You feel stuck
- You want to challenge yourself
- You’re ready for a new perspective
- You’re not sure why this resonates, but it does. And that excites you.
- All food/drink from Friday evening snacks thru Sunday lunch
- Transportation from the north side of Chicago to/from Somewhere Magical, Michigan/Wisconsin
- All activities and activity materials
- Shoes and clothes suitable for walking outside
- Warm clothes suitable for sitting outside at night
- Toiletries – anything you use for personal hygiene! Shampoo, toothpaste, soap, etc.
- Clothes suitable for yoga*
- Optional: yoga mat/strap/block, anything else you use in your practice, if you do practice. Yoga novices welcome and encouraged as well!
- *For LOY03; if coming to LOY04, yoga clothes/accessories are not necessary
- Optional: pleasure reading, water bottle, personal music player e.g. iPod
What Not to Pack
- Laptops, iPads, DVD player+
- Phones will be collected when we arrive and returned when we leave
- Food/drink — we will have plenty for all!
- Bedding, towels — all provided!
- Wad of cash — you won’t need any money
- Leave Roscoe Village (northside of Chicago) at 7pm Friday
- Arrive in Somewhere Magical, Michigan around 11pm Friday [timechange]/Somewhere Magical, Wisconsin around 9pm Friday
- Awesomeness all day/night Saturday
- Leave Somewhere Magical, Michigan/Wisconsin on Sunday afternoon
- Arrive Roscoe Village Sunday late afternoon/early evening [Michigan timechange]
- Can I come with my friend, my girlfriend, my dad? No. Everyone comes solo.
- Can I bring my pet? No.
- Who else is going? The two facilitators and a group of people you don’t know and who don’t know one another.
- Can I find out who’ll be there before I sign up/before the retreat? No.
- What is the size of the group? Eight to twelve.
- Can anyone come? Anyone 21+.
- How are you selecting people? We’re looking for a range of participants whom are all different yet share an I’m open! spirit.
- Will I be the oldest/youngest/fill in the blank-est that’ll make me feel awkward? You might be the oldest, the only Democrat, the only vegetarian, the only parent, the only spouse. But you won’t feel awkward. We’re awesome at creating comfortable environments.
- What’s the schedule? Besides departure and arrival times, don’t worry about it!
- What will we be doing? Definitely no math problems. Other than that, just be prepared for awesomeness.
- How long is the drive? About two hours and forty-five minutes for Michigan and an hour and a half for Wisconsin.
- If logistically it makes sense for me to meet you at the retreat, e.g. I live an hour from the location, can I do that? The group van ride is really important for the group dynamic, as we get to know each other and discuss all things silly and serious, so ideally, you’d ride with us. That said, we’re also not going to make you drive three hours to Chicago if you live in the vicinity of the retreat. We’ll make it work and it’ll be lovely, even if you’re not able to drive with us.
- If I’m flying, what airport should I fly into? O’Hare is the best choice. Midway is also an option though not as ideal, as it’s further from home-base.
- Can I come for part of the retreat? No. It’s integral to the community-experience that you’re present for the whole time.
- I’m a vegetarian/allergic to ______. Will there be food-options for me? Absolutely! Just let us know any dietary restrictions on your application.
- Can I smoke? No! Well, ok. Outside. As long as you discard your butts in the trash.
- Will we be doing yoga? On LOY03, yes. On LOY04, no.
- Do I have to do the physical activities, like walking and yoga? Fully participating in the retreat is highly-encouraged and we will adjust every situation to the needs of the group. Never done yoga? That’s ok! Frank’s a pro and Saya’s a novice; something for everyone.
- Is this a religious retreat? No.
- Can I attend a retreat if I’ve already been to one? Yes.
- If I have to cancel, can I get a refund? There are no refunds so please make sure you can attend before applying.
- How can I be a retreat sponsor? Contact Saya.